By Century Ear, Nose, Throat, Head & Neck Surgery
November 29, 2021
Category: ENT Conditions
Tags: Hearing Loss  

If you're experiencing problems with your ears, you should have them checked by an ear, nose, and throat specialist (ENT) before the issues turn severe. If your symptoms result in hearing loss, an audiologist or an ENT in Orland Park, New Lenox, Evergreen Park IL can provide a broad range of services. Dr. Brian Farrell and his team at Century Ear, Nose and Throat can diagnose and treat any medical conditions causing your hearing loss.

What Is an ENT?

ENT is the abbreviation for an ear, nose, and throat specialist. Most ENTs are highly-qualified, highly-educated doctors who are also skilled surgeons. An ENT in Orland Park, New Lenox, Evergreen Park IL can diagnose, treat and perform surgical procedures on most problems related to your ears. Ear, nose, and throat specialists can also diagnose and treat any medical-related issue that may cause hearing loss.

What is an Audiologist?

An audiologist specializes in the maintenance of hearing loss. In many cases, audiologists are experts in the technology that can help restore hearing loss. However, they specialize in the auditory system and are generally unable to treat any medical issues that cause you to lose your hearing. If you're losing your hearing because of age or any non-medical-related problem, you may want to visit an audiologist to discuss your treatment options.

Advanced Medical Issues and Hearing Loss

Advanced medical problems, such as an ear infection, hypertension, diabetes, or other diseases, can cause temporary or even permanent hearing loss. Other issues like earwax build-up, swimmer's ear, and sinus infections are generally minor problems, but they can also lead to temporary or permanent hearing loss.

All of these issues should be diagnosed and treated by ENTs if you're experiencing any hearing loss. If you see an audiologist for any of these medical-related issues for hearing loss, you'll more than likely get a referral to an ENT.

Our team at Century Ear, Nose, and Throat hopes this helps you choose the right medical provider for your hearing concerns. Contact Dr. Farrell and his professional and friendly ENT staff in Orland Park, New Lenox, Evergreen Park IL at (708) 460-0007 if you want to learn more about what we do and how we can help with your hearing loss.