Posts for: May, 2019
6 Tips for Managing Allergies
Are you suffering from allergies? An allergy involves a reaction by your immune system, often to harmless substances. Allergies can cause great misery. Fortunately, there are options to help you manage your symptoms and continue doing the things you enjoy. Century Ear, Nose & Throat (with offices in Orland Park, Evergreen Park and New Lenox, IL) offers treatments for allergies. Here are 6 tips for managing your allergies.
1. Get a diagnosis from a doctor. You need to learn what triggers your symptoms. That way you can avoid them and find the best treatment. Start with a visit to an ENT doctor. ENT doctors specialize in conditions affecting the ear, nose, and throat. At your appointment, your doctor will obtain a detailed medical history, examine you and evaluate your symptoms. Your doctor may also perform blood or skin tests to determine what type of allergy you have.
2. Start taking allergy medication. Antihistamines are the mainstay for treating the runny nose, sneezing, and itchy eyes that come with allergies. Antihistamines are also used to treat hives and other symptoms of food allergies. Nasal decongestants help relieve symptoms of nasal congestion. Nasal decongestants usually provide good symptom relief and can make you feel better quickly.
3. Ask your doctor about allergy shots. Immunotherapy, or allergy shots, involves injecting small and increasing amounts of allergens over regular intervals. Allergy shots help your body get used to the substances that cause an allergic reaction. Allergy shots decrease often lead to lasting relief of symptoms even after treatment is stopped.
4. Eat to ease your allergies. You can’t cure your allergies with a special diet. But what you eat can make a big difference in how you feel. In one study, kids who ate lots of fruits, vegetables and nuts had fewer allergy symptoms. Soups and hot drinks can warm up your airways and thin mucus in your lungs, making it easier to cough up.
5. Rinse it out with a nasal rinse. A nasal rinse cleans mucus from your nose and can ease symptoms there. Using a nasal rinse once a day can help clean bacteria from your nasal passages, thin mucus, curb postnasal drip, and wash out allergens you've inhaled. After their symptoms are gone, some individuals find a few times a week is enough to keep them symptom-free.
6. Keep your home clean. Cleaning is one of the best ways to avoid indoor allergens. But certain chemicals can irritate your nose and make your symptoms worse. Don't use scented detergents or cleaners. Make natural cleaners with everyday ingredients like baking soda or vinegar. Use a damp cloth and mop when cleaning. Use a vacuum cleaner that has a HEPA (high-efficiency particulate air) filter to trap allergens.
Stop allergies from ruining your life! Don't wait. Call Century Ear, Nose & Throat at (708) 460-0007 right now to schedule an appointment in Orland Park, IL, Evergreen Park, IL, and New Lenox, IL. You will experience exemplary service and state-of-the-art care at Century Ear, Nose & Throat!