How Your Ent Doctor Can Help You With Your Sinus Infection
posted: Nov. 10, 2022.
Sinus infections are a common problem. In fact, over 12% of people in this country suffer from chronic sinus infections, according to the Centers for Disease Control, or CDC. Fortunately, your ENT specialist can help you get relief from sinus infections, so you can breathe easier again.
Sinus infections can be caused by exposure to a bacteria, a fungus, or to an allergen. They can also develop after having the flu, a cold, or other virus.
Sinus infection symptoms can make you miserable. When you have a sinus infection, you may experience:
- A fever
- Severe headaches
- Difficulty breathing through your nose
- Pain and pressure around and behind your eyes
For occasional sinus infections, your ENT specialist may recommend:
- Antibiotics to kill the bacteria causing the infection
- Prescription-strength decongestants to open your sinuses
- Palliative medications and treatments to help you feel better
For chronic, moderate to severe sinus infections, your ENT specialist may recommend a procedure known as balloon sinuplasty. This procedure has many important advantages when compared to traditional sinus surgery.
Consider that balloon sinuplasty treatment:
- Is minimally invasive and requires no incisions or sutures
- Does not result in scarring or scar tissue
- Is less likely to cause infection because there is no cutting
- Causes far less discomfort than conventional sinus surgery
- Requires little or no downtime because there is very little bruising and swelling
- Is performed on an outpatient basis so there is no hospital stay
Balloon sinuplasty treatment is performed under general anesthesia. An ultrathin catheter is inserted into your nostril and guided up into your sinuses. The catheter has a small balloon attached at the end.
When the catheter reaches the sinus blockage, the balloon is inflated. The blockage is eliminated, congestion is relieved, and you can breathe freely again. The balloon is then deflated, and the catheter is removed.
You can get relief from sinus infections. Your ENT specialist has the answers and treatments you need to be able to breathe freely and easily. To find out more about sinus infections and how your ENT specialist can help you get relief, call your ENT specialist today.
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.